Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Alex James!

That kid Toby is in so much trouble, but it hasn't come to fruition for him yet.

Rewind to one hour ago:

I had high hopes that my newly 6 year old would make it safely to school with his pan of 21 homemade banana cupcakes. Although shouting out the door to Toby, "Walk slow so he doesn't drop his cupcakes!", left me with an ominous feeling in my gut.

My ESP must have been up and kicking because not 5 minutes later my phone buzzes with a text from Toby, "Alex is standing here with a pile of cupcakes on the ground."

I shoved my feet in my thongs and stormed out the door, still jammified mind you.

I keep expecting to come across a sugary slaughter, but at every approaching section of sidewalk there is nothing. No sad, birthday boy sobbing over the pathetic pile of banana and cream cheese goodness; no older brother who was in too much of a hurry to get to breakfast to slowly walk and ensure the safety of my baked goods. Every other neighborhood kid was there, just not mine, and none had seen the boys. Kids love a mom in pajamas FYI.

So I call the school secretaries since Toby has dutifully turned his cell phone off .

They discover Alex and his 21 homemade banana cupcakes safely in his kindergarten class. Just to rub it in, they add that he's beaming from ear to ear, and "Wow! Those cupcakes look delicious!" Thank you, I know.

I've been duped!!!! My own 9 year old played a ridiculously inconvenient joke on me. He succeeded in making his mother walk, no stomp, all the way to school, ready to school him good on the consequences of disobeying my "walk slow" orders.

I debated about returning the favor with an impromptu Pajama Mom classroom visit to take the cell phone from him in a ceremonial display. Instead I decided to keep it simple and let him mop all of my floors as if cupcakes had been smooshed into their crevices.

Lesson learned: don't mess with mom before 7:30am and coffee.

Anyways, happy birthday to my sweet Alex James!



- Posted from my iPhone using BlogPress and my still beating heart.

2 comments:

  1. LOL you should have went into his class that would have been funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I came looking for this story! Toby is one smart kiddo. ;)

    ReplyDelete